Dear New Rangers Fans
With that being said, this is why I’m writing to you. Believe it or not, I’m not in the business of telling someone what to do. The great American philosopher Forrest Gump says “Stupid is as stupid does,” but I’m going to attempt to help curve this mentality with not rules, but guidelines.
- This season is 162 games which mean it has 10.13 times as many games as a NFL football season, ergo; one loss is not something to hem and haw about. The “Chicken Little syndrome” is way more suitable for football than baseball.
- Making the playoffs in baseball is still a much larger achievement than it is any other major sport. Enjoy the fact that your Rangers have tasted postseason play for three consecutive seasons. Once your team is in the playoffs, it can be a complete crapshoot to figure out who wins. The best team (a la 2011) does not always win.
- The wave. Just don’t. I mean if you want look like a complete buffoon, by all means, but if you want to look like someone that belongs onpeopleofwalmart.com, that’s on you. The players hate it, Chuck Morgan and other knowledgeable fans/followers can’t stand it, and a kitten dies each time the wave happens. Nobody wants that on their head.
- A pop out is a ball that is catchable in the infield or very shallow outfield. A fly out is a ball that is capable of being caught by an outfielder.
- A pop out is an out just like a strikeout. Would you rather see somebody whiff on a ball rather than make contact?
- This isn’t little league as much as you want it to be. If a player doesn’t sprint to first to run out a routine ball, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. Chances are, the “hustle police” would be the first ones to rail on a guy for pulling his hamstring while hustling down the line. With the “hustle police,” nobody wins, not even Charlie Hustle.
- Sac bunts are silliness.
- This is the Golden Era of Rangers baseball, treat it that way. I’ve been following this team for 26 years and never has this organization looked better. RBiA is Camelot and Jon Daniels is your King Arthur. Enjoy it.
- Don’t knock advanced stats because as Grubes would say, it makes you look like a dullard. They are here to stay and EVERY organization uses them. If you want to cling to batting average, RBI, errors and wins then you might as well be using Programma 101 while seam heads have Intel Core i7.
- Be patient. Game 6 is not the end all be all. The Rangers will win the World Series…
Someone who cares